Valid PEL with mandatory Middle School Endorsement in Language Arts. Multiple endorsements preferred, especially MS Reading Endorsement.
To develop in each pupil skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing that are fundamental to good communication and literate citizenship; to develop appreciation of good literature of all types; to motivate pupils to read widely for information and recreation; to develop standards for critical judgement of written an oral communications transmitted by mass media; and to discover and develop special talents of pupils in the field of English.
1. Teaches content and skills in English language, literature, composition, reading, and journalism to secondary pupils, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Adapts English material and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments that guide and challenge pupils.
4. Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids to the interest and maturity level of pupils; maintains required inventory records.
5. Adapts the curriculum to provide individual, small-group, or remedial instruction to meet the needs of the individual pupil.
6. Develops standards for critical analysis through group discussions based on a variety of mass media and classical and contemporary literature.
7. Encourages pupils to think independently and to express original ideas.
8. Evaluates each pupil's progress in English skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing.)
9. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
10. Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
11. Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
12. Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned workday.
13. Works with pupils and other classroom teachers in such activities as preparing material for the school newspaper or yearbook, assisting with PTA programs, or coordinating entries in essay contests.
14. Administers or monitors group tests.
15. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
16. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
17. Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
18. Other related duties as required.
This is a full time, 10 month teaching position with full benefits.
Start Date: August 2018
Salary: Based on current teacher's contract.