Openings as of 7/5/2022
Substitute called as needed.
Must be registered with the Will County Regional Office of Education and have a "Certificate of Authorization" issued from the Will County ROE.
Daily rate: $135.00
The Custodian shall be able to perform all custodial and housekeeping duties (inside and outside of the building) as directed by supervision. This shall include some minor repairs of building furnishings, operation of simple equipment, set up and operation of public address systems and may require operating district motor vehicles (excluding transportation department vehicles and equipment). This description applies also to individuals assigned to watchman duties.
Human Resources - Employment Opportunities
Start and end dates may be negotiated to meet applicant needs.
10-20 hours per week
For college credit or experience
Direct Supervisor: Kristine Schlismann, Director of Community Relations for JTHS
Intern will learn the following:
Intern will develop/compile an online portfolio from internship experience
Applicant must have minimum of 60 credit hours and a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Preferred schooling in Public Relations, Marketing, or Journalism
Joliet Township High School District 204
Individual must have extensive experience and certifications in American Sign Language
Position Title: ASL Sign Language Interpreter
1. High School diploma or equivalent
2. 60 College Credits or Associate Degree
3. Current Illinois State Board of Education Sign Language Interpreter Certificate
Reports To: Director of Special Services
Special Services Building/Program Administrators
Job Goal: To provide support and related services to eligible district students through direct services, monitoring and consultation to improve academic achievement and expressive and receptive communication in the classroom and at appropriate worksites. In addition, the educational interpreter in collaboration with other team members may also instruct students in the use of appropriate assistive technology.
PLANNING AND PREPARATION
• Make visual aids as directed.
• Report concerns regarding technology equipment/supportive devices to appropriate staff in a timely manner.
• Assist in the preparation and organization of instructional and non-instructional materials.
• Collect, grade or correct student work as directed.
• Observe and record data related to student interactions, initiatives, etc.
• Supervise and assist arrival and departure of students, by meeting buses or supervising entries, exits and grounds each day.
• Escort students to various setting throughout the building and community as requested.
• Assists students with bathroom/hygiene needs according to teacher request for needs of students; uses appropriate sanitation during these activities.
• Assists in supervision of and participation in community based trips and vocational based opportunities.
• Model, prompt, and reinforce appropriate social behaviors.
• Facilitate appropriate social interaction among students and provide interpreting as needed.
• Assist in the follow through of planned behavior interventions.
• Provide physical proximity for students when needed.
• Provide reinforcement utilizing established program models or individual student plans.
• Assists in charting students' progress as directed.
• Provides interpreting and/or transliterating in classes and in the community as assigned.
• Reinforce sign language to the student(s) to increase vocabulary
• Reinforce curriculum concepts in sign.
• Under teacher supervision, assists students and conducts small group academic instruction.
• Prompt students in utilizing previously learned strategies to solve problems and gather information.
• Maintains a notebook of vocabulary and assignments to be available to substitute interpreters.
• Interprets//transliterates at the level of the student's understanding.
• Facilitates communication between deaf and hard of hearing students and others by conveying the message being transmitted accurately and fully.
• Provides interpreting and/or transliterating for parent meetings, IEP meetings, and presentations as assigned.
• Participates in educational team meetings, including the development and review of progress of the individual educational plan, providing insight on the status of communication strategies in the mainstream classroom.
• Provides information to the classroom teacher, deaf and hearing students and other staff to maximize benefit of interpreting services.
• Meets regularly with classroom teacher and teacher of hearing impaired concerning communication needs of the students.
• Participates in professional improvement activities.
• Under teacher or related services personnel, assists in routine testing procedures and assists diagnostic personnel in communicating with hearing impaired students during evaluation situations.
• Interprets or translates for students with hearing impairments in counseling and discipline situations, and other pertinent activities as specified on IEP.
• Conducts sign language in-service classes or workshops for hearing students, teachers, other personnel or parents as requested.
• Substitutes in a class when another interpreter is absent and an outside interpreter is unavailable.
• Engage in positive solution finding steps to resolve areas of concern.
• Seek advice, instruction, and direction regarding novel or complex tasks.
• Maintain composure and model solution-finding in all situations.
• Maintain confidentiality of all information about students, families, etc.
• Be prompt and regular in attendance.
• Abide by school district/building policies, rules, and team standards in all areas.
• Maintain your own wellness, composure, and emotional stability while working with students and staff.
• Work cooperatively and collegially with team members.
• Be flexible, willing to listen, experiment, and make changes when needed.
• Demonstrate the ability to perform physical tasks associated with job.
• Demonstrate the ability to perform activities that utilize the necessary technology tools available including web-based systems.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the JTHS administration.
Terms of Employment: As needed