Openings as of 4/22/2019Maintenance and Operations
The job of Custodian was established for the purpose/s of providing custodial services at an assigned site or area; ensuring an attractive, sanitary, and safe environment for students, staff, and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations; overseeing the preparation of facilities for classroom activities and campus events; supporting assigned custodians in the performance of their assignments; and ensuring that assignments are completed in a safe, proper, and timely manner.
This job reports to Immediate Supervisor
• Disinfects required surfaces and fixtures (e.g. urinals, toilets, lavatories, partitions, waste baskets, trash cans, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining District sanitation standards.
• Maintains supplies and equipment (e.g. cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuums, mops, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of custodial items required to properly maintain facilities.
• Monitors students and staff in and around work areas (e.g. halls, multipurpose rooms, lunch room, restrooms, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of preventing injuries and ensuring site safety.
• Participates in unit meetings and trainings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
• Performs a variety of building emergency procedures as needed (e.g. snow removal plan, fire evacuation plan, emergency weather plan, lock-down plan, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that emergency procedures are in order, alarm systems are operational, and/or established procedures are followed effectively.
• Performs minor maintenance on custodial equipment, classroom furniture, and fixtures (e.g. changes vacuum cleaner belts, bags, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring proper functioning and usability of items.
• Performs summer maintenance and cleaning (e.g. stripping and waxing floors; cleaning carpets; cleaning, repairing, and moving furniture; etc. ) for the purpose of preparing facilities for the school year.
• Prepares site for daily operations (e.g. opening gates, raising flags, sweeping and/or salting walkways, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and hazard free.
• Prepares written materials (e.g. supply requisitions, safety inspections, work orders, inventory records, time sheets, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or relating activities to supervisor for action.
• Replenishes classroom and rest room supplies (e.g. paper towels, toilet paper, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use.
• Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
• Responds to inquiries from staff, students, parents, and/or visitors for the purpose of providing information, taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
• Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and/or potential liability.
• Supports other site maintenance staff (e.g. grounds, trades, event custodians, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities in a safe and timely manner.
• Transports a variety of tools, equipment, supplies, etc. for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
SKILLS are required to perform single, technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment and materials used in industrial maintenance; adhering to safety practices; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read and follow instructions; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: methods of industrial cleaning including floor and carpet; basic tools for minor repairs; and safety practices and procedures.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather and/or collate data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals; work with similar types of data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Some problem solving may be required to identify issues and select action plans. Problem solving with data may require independent interpretation; and problem solving with equipment is moderate to significant. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; and meeting deadlines and schedules.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized routines; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization's services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 75% walking, and 20% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
ExperienceJob related experience is required.
EducationHigh School diploma or equivalent.
Required TestingNone Specified Certificates & Licenses None Specified
FLSA StatusNon Exempt