To work with the classroom teacher to provide specialized services within the regular classroom
and/or special education classroom. To work closely with one or more handicapped pupils on a regular basis in an effort to provide
them with the physical help and emotional support they need to gain as full a benefit from the district’s special education program as possible.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist student(s) in classroom during independent work.
- Assist student(s) in auditory memory activities and readiness.
- Review classroom materials with student(s).
- Available for unstructured activities such as: field trips, assemblies, recess, etc.
- Assist where needed in daily activities.
- Assist the student(s) to whom assigned in such physical tasks as putting on and taking off outerwear, moving from room to room, using the lavatory and so on.
- Listen to the students(s) in recitation, reading, and other curriculum tasks, guiding and helping them but not teaching them.
- Performs simple errands and tasks for student(s) such as sharpening pencils, carrying lunch trays etc.
- Under supervision of the special education teacher, works with small groups of students to reinforce material initially introduced by the teacher.
- Accompanies the student(s) to whom assigned when trips to the office or to the school nurse are necessary.
- Establishes as fully as possible a supportive and sympathetic relationship with student(s) without fostering or encouraging intense emotional involvement.
- Serves as a resource person, if and when requested, to the student personnel evaluation team conferring about one of the students to whom assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the teacher and/or principal.
- Assist guidance, pupil services staff or building administration, as needed.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
A paraprofessional certificate.
Ability to relate well with children and adults.
- Prior experience working with special needs children desirable.
12 sick days /2 personal per year
9 month contract
FLSA Status: Non-exempt