: Building Custodian Reports to
: Building Principal Date Revised
: July 2016 Essential Functions:
1. Performs all cleaning duties for the building; including cleaning restrooms, showers, vacuuming and spot cleaning carpets, extracting carpets, sweeping and cleaning steps, washing windows, inside and out, cleaning woodwork, telephones, doors, knobs, and metal frames, student and teacher desk, lunch tables, dusting, washing and waxing floors, collecting and dumping trash and recycle in garbage and recycle dumpsters daily. Checks and fills paper towel and soap dispensers on a daily basis, keep parking lots and grounds free of debris, etc.
2. Sets up and tears down rooms and gymnasium for programs and events as requested or assigned.
3. Responds appropriately to emergency building needs to prevent additional damage to the building (roof leaks, broken water lines, etc.).
4. Corrects immediate safety concerns within the building and/or on grounds immediately within capabilities an/or reports them as soon as possible to the Lead Custodian or the Director of Operations.
5. Changes light bulbs and clean fixtures as needed or assigned.
6. Identifies building deficiencies and develops work orders for building or grounds repairs as soon as possible and turn into the Lead Custodian.
7. Performs minor routine maintenance on custodial equipment as assigned to assure it remains in efficient working order.
8. Assist and/or performs weekly maintenance on playgrounds as assigned by raking wood chips kick out onto asphalt and/or grass, filling in low areas under or around equipment, performs regular periodic inspections and reports any unsafe conditions found immediately to the Lead Custodian and/or Director of Operations.
9. Performs and/or assists with the refinishing of gym floors.
10. Performs or assists with snow removal of all building entrances, exits, steps and other
11. Areas assigned. Snow is to be removed at least 15 feet out from all entrances and exits.
12. Applies ice melt and sand to maintain slip and fall protection on all sidewalks and steps on assigned building sites.
13. Mows, trim weeds and bushes as assigned.
14. Secures building after hours or in an emergency lockdown situation.
15. Maintains regular attendance.
16. Maintains good hygiene and appropriate appearance.
17. Assist as requested with the district's efforts on energy management and help identify areas of potential savings, turning off lights, etc.
18. Adapts to work a shift schedule other than regularly assigned at the request of the Director of Operations and/or Lead Custodian: summer hours, early out days, holidays, etc.
19. Continually demonstrates the ability to respect and act professionally towards fellow co-workers, staff members students, parents and community members and resolve differences in a calm, non-intimidating, and professional manner.
20. Demonstrates a positive attitude and the ability to cooperate and be a team player.
21. Demonstrates the ability to follow rules, duties, and assigned work from the Lead Custodian, Director of Operations, and/or School Administrator.
22. Receives and accepts constructive criticism and demonstrates a willingness to improve skills, efficiency, professionalism, and cleanliness of the building environment.
23. Adheres to break and lunch schedules and returns to work promptly.
24. Performs other duties as assigned. Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Demonstrates knowledge and ability to operate, and maintain floor scrubbers, burnishes, swing machines, carpet extractors, wet & dry vacuums, touchless restroom cleaning machines and other related equipment.
2. Requires ability to prioritize daily task list and assignments. Reports unfinished task to the Lead Custodian.
3. Ability to read and interpret instructions related to equipment repair and maintenance.
4. Ability to make independent decisions based on proven cleaning methods.
5. Effective communication skills.
6. Is knowledgeable with current cleaning chemicals and use them for their intended use and at the recommended concentration and ratio.
7. Is able to climb ladders and scaffolding as required for the job.
8. Has knowledge of and uses appropriate personal protective safety equipment for the specific task assigned.
9. Attends safety and department meetings, including Right to Know, Asbestos Awareness, and Blood Borne Pathogens training exercises.
10. Has physical ability to shovel snow, operate lawnmowers, snow blowers and weed trimming equipment as required in maintaining entrances, exits, and grounds as directed.
11. Maintains control under stress, in disagreements, or in emergency situations. Education/Certification:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D.
2. Previous custodial experience preferred
3. Must hold a valid driver's license Background Check:
1. Candidates will need to successfully pass a criminal background check. Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work regularly demands heavy physical effort in the handling of materials, boxes carts, furniture, and equipment. Regularly lifts and handles boxes or materials weighing up to 50 pounds; regularly bends, squats, pushes, pulls, climbs, and reaches to clean the top and bottom of shelves, walls, lights, and floors. Work requires standing for extended periods of time.
The job involves working both inside and outside during extreme temperatures and/or conditions. The work environment may involve risks associated with chemicals and equipment used, which is typical of this profession. The use of safe workplace practices, personal protective equipment and observation of safety regulations will be used at all times.
This job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time unless restricted by a negotiated contract.
The Marion Independent School District shall provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Employment Opportunity laws, directives and regulations of federal, state, and local governing bodies and agencies. The District shall take affirmative action as described in the annual notice. Employees shall be given notice of this policy annually.
Individuals who file an application with the school district will be given consideration for employment if they meet or exceed the qualifications set by the board, administration and State Department of Education for the position for which they apply. In employing school district personnel, the board shall consider the qualifications, credentials, and records of the applicants without regard to basis of race, sex, creed, color, national origin, religion, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, or familial status. In keeping the law, the board shall consider the veteran status of applicants.
Inquiries by employees or applicants for employment regarding compliance with equal employment opportunity and affirmative action shall be directed to the Affirmative Action Coordinator, Marion Independent School District, 777 S. 15th Street, Marion, Iowa 52302.