VAN BUREN COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
TITLE: Bus Driver
REPORTS TO: Director of Transportation or designee
JOB GOAL: To maintain a smooth and efficient transportation system for the District, act in place of the Director when necessary and keep the District’s automobiles and buses in a state of operating excellence so that they present no problems or interruptions to the educational program.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt Non-Exempt
Full Time Part Time
1. High school diploma or GED
2. Hold an Iowa School Bus Driver LICENSE (CDL).
2. Pass pre-employment drug screening and record check.
3. A good driving record
4. Comply with random drug and alcohol testing.
5. Knowledge in the use of emergency equipment on a school bus.
6. Three to five years of previous school bus driving experience. (Preferred)
7. First Aid Certification. (Preferred)
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Provide transportation in accordance with District policy and procedure as well as local, state and federal laws and regulations.
2. Obey all traffic laws and mandatory safety regulations for school buses.
3. Assure students get on and off school bus in orderly fashion.
4. Check bus before each operation for mechanical defects using pre-trip inspection form; notify Transportation Director or designee of mechanical concerns.
5. Maintain student discipline.
6. Keep to written route and time schedule.
7. Transport only authorized students and staff.
8. Participate in all training pertaining to the job.
9. Report all accidents immediately to the Transportation Director or designee.
10. Participate in all required drug and alcohol testing.
11. Have reliable attendance and punctuality.
12. Ability to operate vehicles during inclement weather.
13. Fuel bus and record necessary related information.
14. Keep bus clean inside and out.
15. Maintain a positive rapport with students, staff, parents and community members.
16. Maintain confidentiality in the school operation.
17. Keep busy throughout work shift using time wisely and completing tasks in a timely fashion.
18. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force as frequently as needed to move objects.
2. Ability to sit in one position for a prolonged period of time.
3. Must have manual dexterity to operate and handle equipment related to all aspects of maintenance or custodial tasks in a way that ensures safety while performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stand, talk or hear, taste or smell, walk and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate tools or controls.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. The noise level in the work environment is moderately loud.
2. Must have ability to tolerate chemicals in commercial strength detergents and cleaning solutions.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Days of service as specified in contract language. Salary established by the Board.
- A signed copy of this job description should be placed in the employee’s personnel file.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated per contract language and/or in accordance with provisions of the board’s policy or as needed.
Approved by: ______________________________________ Date: _____________
Reviewed and agreed to by ____________________________ Date: _____________
(This job description contains only measurable performance responsibilities).
The statements contained herein describe the scope of responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job unless restricted by a negotiated contract.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
Van Buren CSD is an equal employment opportunity affirmative action employer. The district does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived age, color, creed, gender, national origin, race, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, or familial status, in its educational programs, services or employment practices. Inquiries concerning application of this statement, including grievance procedures, should be addressed to Dr. Pam Ewell, Superintendent, 503 Henry Street, Keosauqua IA 52565 (319) 293-3334.