Openings as of 8/19/2018Other
Terms of Employment: 12 months Salary: commensurate with experience JOB GOAL: Provide external and internal audiences/stakeholders information about district programs and events. Develop a strategic and cohesive marketing plan aligned with district program and goals. Supervise and direct the work of members of the communications department. Evaluate members of the communications department.
This position requires continuous use of independent judgment. The essential functions as shown below represent only the key areas of responsibility. Specific position requirements will vary depending on the needs of the marketing and communications department.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, public relations or a related field.
Five or more years of experience in communications or public relations, preferably in a public educational institution with experience working with the news media as well as marketing.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Computer literacy in word processing, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Drive, social media and content management systems.
Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities.
Must possess strong creative, strategic, analytic, organizational, and personal skills.
Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and communicating with media.
Experience with the design and production of print material, publications, and electronic material preferred.
Strong knowledge of online communication strategies and tactics, latest web technologies, tools and best practices.
Well organized, detail oriented, with the ability to work under pressure.
Knowledge of branding, logos, trademarks and copyright permissions.
Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Proven ability to work well with others.
Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Master’s degree in public relations or a related field.
Demonstrated successful experience in leading or managing a team.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
SUPERVISES: Communications department staff
Lead internal and external communications.
Lead supervisor for media relations, graphic services and standards, website management and social media.
Develop strategies to promote and maintain a positive image of the Waukee Community School District.
Provide oversight, quality control and input to key messages for the district.
Assist Superintendent as primary spokesperson for the district, maintaining relationships with the media.
Oversee content and design of the school district website and the design of school websites.
Assist with writing and editing speeches and other forms of communication by the Superintendent and other district leaders.
Be responsible for oversight of district’s multiple social media platforms.
Develop and maintain WCSD brand standards and logo licensing and ensure that all WCSD communications adhere to adopted and approved brand standards.
Be responsible for the oversight of content and production of brochures and other district marketing materials.
Represent the District at community events as needed.
Advise the Board, Superintendent and other district staff on matters of communications and public relations.
Monitor legislative issues and assist Superintendent in developing district communication efforts in regards to the same.
Lead community engagement efforts including a variety of data collection strategies.
Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
Maintain satisfactory and harmonious working relationships with the public, students and other employees.
Ensure annual training for school administrators and secretaries on the topics of effective school marketing such as communication, social media, media relations, customer service, interpersonal communication, and related topics.
Serve on district committees representing the interest of the communications department.
Serve on the district safety committee to ensure the development of communications related to safety, crisis response and recovery.
Supervise, evaluate, and direct staff assigned to communications department.
Maintain a positive working relationship with local media personnel and serve as a liaison for media outlets.
Be responsible for continuous learning about the trends and issues impacting communications.
Work cooperatively with building administrative staff to support newsletters and parent/community communications.
Oversee the completion of FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) requests.
Perform other duties as assigned. EOE
Hours: As needed. Preferred availability - 7:30am - 4:00pm Salary: $135/day (Partial days paid on hourly basis)
Registered nurse with valid Iowa licensure - BSN preferred
Current CPR certification
1) Participate in developing and implementing school health policies and procedures.
2) Maintain accurate and complete health records.
3) Manage time and resources in the provision of school health services.
4) Assess and document health and development status of students by planning and implementing health appraisals and screenings.
5) Identify specific health conditions which can have an impact on learning.
6) Control the outbreak and spread of infectious and communicable diseases.
7) Participate in developing and maintaining a safe and healthful environment.
8) Provide emergency care when needed.
9) Administer and record medications.
10) Participate in crisis intervention for students, families and school personnel.
11) Consult with Administration, parent/guardian and school personnel to keep the school district informed about pertinent health problems and needs of students.
12) Initiate the health referral process and serve as liaison among school, home and community.
13) Act as consultant and resource to the faculty in the planning and implementation of the health curriculum.
14) Provide health counseling to individual students, groups of students, families and school personnel.
15) Compile health materials and distribute as necessary.
16) Train, supervise and evaluate non-licensed personnel assigned to dispense medications and provide other services.
196 day contract
Position Criteria and Performance Responsibilities: