Openings as of 12/17/2017Administration
Marion Independent School District
Business Manager/Board Secretary
Start Date March 1, 2018
Marion Independent School District is a PK-12 public school located on the north east corner of Cedar Rapids, IA. Marion is one of the fastest growing communities in Iowa and has been listed as one of the best places in America to live. The District serves 2,000 PK-12 students and provides Home School Assistance to an additional 1,050 students.
The District’s desired started date for the position is March 1, 2018 with salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Please send inquires and resume to Superintendent Chris Dyer, email@example.com , 777 S. 15th Street, Marion IA 52302. Phone number: 319-377-4691.
o Possess or ability to qualify for School Business Officer authorization
§ Basic criteria include a minimum of an associate’s degree in business or accounting or 60 semester hours of coursework in business or accounting of which 9 semester hours must be in accounting.
§ Applicants must have successfully completed an Iowa division of criminal investigation and national criminal history background check.
o Successful Experience as an Iowa Public School Business Official or similar field.
o Undergraduate degree in finance, business, accounting, or related area.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
· Prepare certified and operating budgets in a timely manner.
· Prepare enrollment projections, long range plans and projections pertinent to the financial needs of the district.
· Manage the open enrollment applications for resident and nonresident students.
· Prepare multi-year projections of revenues and expenditures.
· Oversee implementation of grants and categorical funded projects.
· Provide regular counsel and advice to the board and program administrators on fiscal and operational areas.
· Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate strategies to enhance cash position and ensure appropriate investment of district funds as prescribed by Iowa Code and District policies.
· Direct and implement an effective system of internal financial controls.
· Oversee the maintenance of finance and business related records, reports, and district files as determined by district policy and state laws.
· Ensure district compliance with pertinent state and federal regulatory programs.
· Communicate district budget and operational status to the community as needed.
· Ensure accounting procedures meet state requirements for all accounts.
· Provide timely payment of bills and other accounts payable.
· Prepare monthly reports for the Board and program administrators highlighting variances in revenues and expenditures.
· Investigate operations through appreciate internal audit procedures.
· Complete, monitor, and report activities applicable to state and federally funded programs.
· Arrange and coordinate preparation of documents for the annual financial audit.
· Implement audit suggestions regarding corrections, adjustments, internal controls and segregation of duties in the business office.
· Supervise and evaluate Business Office personnel and budget.
· Oversee the district’s employee benefit program, including the multidistrict self-insurance program for medical, dental, workers compensation, life, and disability insurance.
· Works with the payroll clerk to ensure that payroll checks are issues to all district employees on a timely basis.
· Periodically gather comparison data on salary and benefits for negotiations.
· Plan and coordinate the development of statistical, financial, and management information related to employee relations.
· Operate within the policies of and implement regulations developed by the District.
· Establish annual personal and professional development goals focused upon effective leadership characteristics and specific job performance target areas.
· Participate in workshops, conferences and / or other activities designed to maintain knowledge and skills regarding educational management, employee supervision,, and other matters pertaining to effective management.
· Develop proposed policies relating to financial management for Board consideration.
· Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools.
· Regularly confer with building principals and administrators regarding problems / solutions related to district operations.
· Work with commissioned architects in the construction and remodeling of facilities to ensure compliance with district requirements and economic conditions.
· Review all contracts between the district and outside contractors prior to board review.
· Oversee the day-to-day operations of the district finance and business functions.
· Recruit, interview, and recommend qualified personnel for approved staff openings.
· Evaluate subordinate staff and make employment recommendations to the Superintendent.
· Supervise the director of food service operations.
· Direct the general operations and financial procedures of the food service program.
· Direct the general operations and financial procedures of the technology program.
· Supervise the director of transportation services.
The following positions report to the Business Manager: Payroll clerk, accounts payable clerk, director of food services and director of transportation services.