Duties & Responsibilities: (Essential Functions of Position, Major Responsibilities, Summary of Key Duties, Special Assignments, Relationships)
Rate of pay: Probation rate - $ 12.21 Reg. rate: $13.87 Number of Hours/Day: 8hrs/5days Start Time: 6 a.m. End Time 2 p.m.
Duties & Responsibilities: (Primary Function, Major Responsibilities, Summary of key Duties, Special Assignments, Relationships)
1. Prepares foods by using standardized recipes, accepted food production methods and appropriate school kitchen equipment.
2. May develop new standardized recipes using accepted food production methods and appropriate school kitchen equipment.
3. Safely operates school kitchen equipment. Inspects periodically; Recommends needed maintenance and repairs.
4. Assists manager in supervision and direction of food service personnel.
5. Assists the manager in preparing orders for food and supplies.
6. Assists in control of food and supply costs with stock rotation, proper storage and handling, portion control and use of excess
7. May assist with kitchen clean up and proper storage of leftovers.
8. Assist in setting up service areas, portioning, and/or serving food items.
9. Maintains standards of sanitation, safety, production, service, and food quality.
10. Has the ability to communicate effectively and work as a team with fellow employees and supervisors.
11. Maintains good public relations with students, parents, faculty, and the community.
12. May assist in finalizing the menu plan and adjust food production schedules accordingly.
13. Completes and maintains food production records.
14. Ensures proper food presentation and quality for our customers.
15. Has the ability to plan workload, forecast requirements and coordinate food production.
16. Assists manager with production and service of catered functions.
17. Performs other duties as may be assigned.
18. Successful candidate must possess strong inter-personal skills with a proven record of building rapport with culturally diverse students to ensure each child reaches his/her full potential.
19. Good attendance and punctuality are a must to ensure that the duties and responsibilities of the job are performed successfully.
Physical Requirements of Position: (HBV Yes No)
- The Head Cook is physically able to work in a standing position for prolonged periods and to walk much of the time during the day; is able to work in very warm surroundings; has manual dexterity to handle knives and other pieces of kitchen equipment, and is able to lift materials weighing at least 46 pounds. May be required to climb stairs.
Special Qualification Desired:
(Personal Qualities, Education, Skills Needed, Experience, Etc.)
- EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE - The School Food Service Head Cook shall possess competence in the above stated areas of responsibility. It is required that the Head Cook have a high school diploma or GED and maintain Food Protection Manager certification.
- Successful completion of the following classes is required within 1st year of employment: Nutrition 101,CT1-Culinary Techniques: Introduction to Preparing Healthy School Meals, CT2-Preparing Fruits, Vegetables and Salads, CT3-Preparing Entrée Items, Food Production Records, Focus on the Customer for School Nutrition Assistants, and Inventory Management-Controlling Costs. ServSafe Certification (within 6 months).