Openings as of 7/19/2018Student Support Services
Position Title:Bus Driver
Immediate Supervisor: Transportation Manager
Summary (Job Goal):
Ensure the safe and orderly transportation of District students and/or staff while operating District school vehicles to and from schools or other designated locations over specified routes according to specific time schedules.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned.)
1. Operate District vehicles to transport students and/or staff to and from assigned routes, following strict time schedules.
2. Provide a safe and secure environment (physically and emotionally) for students, staff and community.
3. Obey all Federal/State laws, traffic laws and regulations; Board Policies, and Administrative Regulations and/or rules.
4. Perform daily pre and post-trip inspections and submit completed designated inspection forms for each route/trip to ensure the safety of assigned District vehicle and passengers.
5. Maintain safety precautions and operate assigned District vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
6. Follow safety rules as students and/or staff are boarding and exiting District vehicles, and as they cross streets near bus stops.
7. Implement appropriate student management/behavior strategies.
8. Communicate/report student behavior issues and all questionable situations or out-of-the ordinary situations to the Transportation Manager and/or appropriate authority for counsel.
9. Appropriately operate all assigned communication equipment in a timely and professional manner.
10. Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation systems in District vehicles for passenger comfort.
11. Keep District vehicle interiors clean for passengers.
12. Participate in required District training.
13. Report any equipment damage, accidents, and injuries (staff or student) immediately to the Transportation Manager and/or appropriate authority.
14. Prepares emergency evacuation plans and performs semi-annual evacuation drills.
15. Other duties as assigned.
1. Quality of work (Ensures the safe, orderly transportation of District students/staff while operating District school vehicles to/from schools or other designated locations over specified routes according to specific time schedules.)
2. Quantity of work (The amount of work performed is evidence of high productivity; industrious; accountable for own fair share of work load; seeks additional tasks)
3. Knowledge of job (Job methods, procedures, practices and responsibilities are well understood and reflected in job performance; exhibits continuous improvement and ongoing learning)
4. Creativity/Problem solving (Offers new ideas; suggests innovative and better ways of performing necessary tasks)
5. Interpersonal skills (Works collaboratively with others; courteous; polite; pleasant; promotes positive image in contacts with co-workers and District customers)
6. Dependability (Reliable; punctual; consistent attendance; completes work accurately and in a timely fashion; stable and calm in a crisis or emergency; works independently)
7. Professional appearance(Dress is acceptable for the job; appears clean, well-groomed and "professional")
8. Organizational skills (Exhibits ability to prioritize work; organizational skills enhance job productivity)
9. Safety (Provides safety and security for self and others through following proper safety procedures at all times)
10. Written/Verbal communication (Conveys information and ideas accurately and courteously to clearly met the needs of the staff/students/visitors, transfers thoughts and ideas into speech and presents clearly)
11. Managing change/adaptability (Demonstrates good understanding of organizational changes and communicates support for such change. Adapts to changes in schedule and work assignments)
12. Professional approach (Professional, positive and helpful approach with visitors and District employees. Displays loyalty toward the organization. Demonstrates a capacity to understand internal and external customer requirements and produces a professional level of service that is satisfactory)
13. Flexibility (Demonstrates openness to new organizational structures and procedures. Willingly takes direction and will modify one's preferred way of doing things)
Up to 84 students while operating assigned District vehicle.
Minimum Education or Experience:
Must be at least 21 years of age preceding the opening of the school year.
Licensure or Certification:
Hold a valid Iowa CDL (Class B with passenger, air brake, and school bus endorsements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed here are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Ability to read maps, and follow written and verbal geographic directions.
Ability to effectively communicate in both oral and written form to students, staff, and community.
Knowledge of Federal/State traffic laws.
Ability to effectively make decisions and problem solve.
Ability to solve conflicts in a constructive manner.
Physical Demands: (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Close vision, far vision, color vision, night vision, depth perception and peripheral vision. Occasionally lift up to 75 pounds, such as students. Hand strength to grasp levers. Frequent sitting and occasional walking or standing. Frequent bending and twisting at the neck. Continuous driving. Choose quickly between two or more movements in response to two or more different signals (lights, sounds, pictures, etc.), including the speed with which the correct response is started with the hand, foot, or other body part. Coordinate two or more limbs while sitting or standing. Time movements or the movement of a piece of equipment in anticipation of changes in the speed and/or direction of a moving object or scene. Quickly respond to a signal when it appears.
Drivers must submit and maintain a signed report (Form TR-F-6-497B) of a medical examination by a licensed physician or surgeon indicating physical fitness according to the Iowa Department of Transportation regulations.
Work Environment: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in temperatures above 100 degrees and below 32 degrees and occasionally will walk on slippery surfaces. The employee must meet deadlines with severe time constraints and interact with public and other workers. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud and employee must be able to talk loudly to be heard.
Drivers are subject to a pre-employment drug screen, state mandated quarterly random drug/alcohol testing, motor vehicle driving record, and background check.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. These statements are not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his or her supervision.
At Durham School Services, everything we do is graded on the performance of our front line—our drivers. We heavily invest resources in driver recruitment and training because good drivers are so hard to find.
We expect all drivers to meet stringent selection criteria, which includes drug testing, background checks and an extensive interview process. In fact, only one in five candidates is qualified to drive a Durham School Services route.
We are always looking for qualified drivers. If you are at least 21 years of age (or 18 years of age for monitors), think you’ve got what it takes and are interested in the benefits listed below, apply or contact us today!